Bhelpuri is a savoury snack that originates from India and is enjoyed by people as a famous street food. It is called by different names across the subcontinent, in Bengal called as Jhalmuri while in Karnataka called as Churmuri. One may find it at roadside tracks on food stalls all across India. Typically this is made using Puffed rice as base ingredient and topped with several other ingredients like peanuts, onion, tomato and several other things.
Here is a twisted version of bhelpuri where we have replaced puffed rice with makhana also known as fox nuts, and added few more different than usual ingredients. We are sure that this taste will linger on your taste buds for quite some days.
- 2 cups phool makhana (Fox Nuts)
- 1 table spoon red chili powder
- 1 table spoon chaat masala
- 1/4 tea spoon turmeric powder
- 1 roasted cumin powder
- 1 tea spoon black salt
- 1 table spoon ghee/oil
- 1 medium size onion (finely chopped)
- 2 medium size tomatoes (finely chopped)
- 1/2 cup sweet corn
- 1/4 cup raw/ripe mango (grated/diced)
- 1/4 cup roasted peanuts
- 1/2 cup whole green gram sprouts
- 1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
- 2 green chilies (chopped)
- 1/4 cup coriander mint chutney
- 1/2 cup tamarind chutney
- Coriander leaves chopped
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Salt to taste
- Heat the pan on low flame , add ghee/oil and then add makhanas.
- Roast the makhanas until crispy.
- Add chili powder, turmeric, chaat masala, cumin powder, black salt and mix well till it coats the makhanas. Turn off the flame and keep aside to cool down for few minutes.
- Add onions, tomatoes, mango, pomegranate seeds, green chillies, tamarind chutney, coriander and mint chutney, sprouts, sweet corns and peanuts to cooled and roasted makhanas.
- Gently mix all the ingredients and add lemon juice and salt to taste.
- Garnish with chopped coriander leaves, peanuts and pomegranate seeds.
Additional Tips & Tricks
- Be generous while adding sweet and tangy tamarind chutney and coriander and mint chutney as it will enhance the flavor and elevate the flavor.
- Make sure to add every ingredient as they add a different taste and texture to whole dish.
One Comment Add yours
Looks wonderful. I am definitely gonna try this soon.