Muffins, I call it a miniature of cake. The single serve portion of cake to satisfy your sweet tooth craving. Surprisingly once served as a side dish, with no sweet or only natural sweetener has now become a go to option of desserts for many. Isn’t this the first thing which comes to mind for your kids potluck party at school, after all kids love the muffins with or without frosting. The best thing about muffins unlike cake is one can limit the portion by the count.
Nowadays thousands of varieties and flavors are available in muffin. I tried creating these muffins with goodness of zucchini and natural sweetener honey, and yes, to attract the kids attention added a little cocoa to give it a chocolaty flavor. These muffins are exceptionally soft and moist because of zucchini and trust me while eating those who don’t like zucchini won’t even notice its presence and still get all the nutritional value of it.
- 1/2 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup wheat flour
- 3 tablespoon Cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 ripe mashed Banana
- 3 tablespoon Honey
- 1/8 cup olive oil
- 1/8 cup Buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla extract
- 1 medium size Zucchini grated
- 2 tablespoon chopped pistachio
- 1 tablespoon Sugar
- Sieve all dry ingredients: all purpose flour, wheat flour, baking soda, baking powder, cocoa powder, cinnamon powder, salt and powdered sugar in a bowl and mix it well.
- Take another bowl and add ripe-mashed banana with olive oil, vanilla extract/essence, and honey. Whisk it for 3-4 minutes until all are mixed.
- Now slowly add the dry ingredients in wet ingredients along with buttermilk. Fold the batter gently and do not over mix this.
- Add grated zucchini and pistachio and fold it inside the batter.
- Meanwhile preheat the oven at 180 degree celsius.
- Now fill the muffin tray with the batter about 3/4 of cup should be filled as we need room for letting the muffin rise while baking. Top with some more pistachio crumb if you like.
- Place the muffin tray in the oven for 20-30 minutes. check every five minutes after 20 minutes in the oven by inserting a toothpick if it comes out clean muffins are done.
- Let the muffin tray cool down for 15 -20 minutes and enjoy the muffins.
Additional Tips & Tricks
- Batter is going to be a little thick. Don’t worry about it since Zucchini has a lot of water content and it is going to come out perfectly fine after baking.