Who doesn’t love ice cream to kick off the summer? Do you love ice cream as much as I do? If you can’t go a day, a week, or even a month without the delicious flavors of ice cream, then I know how you feel. Well, I was craving some natural fruit flavor infused ice cream and look what I found in a nearby fruit shop is Jamun or Java Plum.
People who are not familiar with this fruit, please pay attention. Jamun or Jambul is a fruit, native to the Indian subcontinent, adjoining regions of Southeast Asia, including Myanmar, Sri Lanka, and the Andaman Islands. This fruit is produced around May or June and resembles large berries. Unripe fruit looks green. As it matures, its color changes to pink, then to shining crimson red and finally to black color. The fruit has a combination of sweet, mildly sour and astringent flavor and tends to color the tongue purple.
- The average number of licks to finish a scoop of ice cream is 50.
- The country that consumes the most ice cream is the USA, followed by Australia then Norway.
- Chocolate ice cream was invented before vanilla as vanilla was rare and exotic in the late 1700’s.
- There are 273 calories in one cup of vanilla ice cream.
- Jamun seeds and fruit juice are all useful in the treatment of diabetes because of its effect on the pancreas.
- Jamun is considered an effective home remedy for hysteria.
- Jamun is an effective food remedy for Haemorrhoids.
- Jamun is useful for dysentery and leave’s juice for gingivitis bleeding gums.
Let’s prepare Jamun icecream. It is easy four ingredients recipe and all ingredients would be easily available at home. It will give you natural fruit taste and it is low on sugar.
- 1/2 Kg Jamun (deseeded)
- 7 tablespoons sugar
- 2 tablespoon milk powder
- 200 ml fresh cream or heavy cream
- Take our 5-10 Jamun, deseed them and cut into small pieces and set aside.
- Take the rest of the Jamuns and deseed them and add it to the blender along with sugar and milk powder. Blend it for 10 seconds by giving a pulse of 2-2 seconds.
- We need a coarse mixture of it.
- Transfer it to a bowl and add fresh cream to it and whisk it until mixed well and slightly fluffy. It needs 10-15 minutes of whisking.
- Add small pieces of Jamun to add extra flavors.
- Transfer it to an air tight container and refrigerate it for 8-10 hours.
Additional Tips & Tricks
- Fresh cream having 35-40% fat will give you the best result. In case you get only 25% fat fresh cream which is easily available in India, will also work well. Here I have added 25% fat cream and it turned out quite well.
- Many times whipping cream comes with sugar added to it then you can skip adding sugar as you will get enough sweetness from cream itself.
- More the fat content in cream, smoother will be the texture of final product since it will have less amount of water crystals in ice cream after freezing.
- Applying cling film on ice cream mixture before freezing in airtight container also helps in reducing water crystal to some extent.