Sambar Powder is one key ingredient to be added in sambar. This is fine ground powder made using a number of roasted spices and lentils. Some ingredients like cumin, black pepper and use of different lentils in this powder varies from state to state. Nowadays there are many brands of sambar powder available in the market which are ready to use. However as I mentioned in the recipe for sambar, the taste of sambar increases multi fold by using a homemade fresh sambar powder instead of using a store bought sambar powder. Trust me the taste of sambar made from homemade sambar powder is good that you won’t buy the packaged masala ever.
This powder doesn’t take a very long to make and can be stored for 3 months at room temperature and up to 6 months if stored refrigerated in an airtight container. You can follow my Sambar recipe prepared using homemade Sambar powder.
- 1/2 cup whole Coriander seeds
- 2 tbsp toor dal
- 2 tbsp chana dal
- 1 tbsp cumin seeds
- 2 tbsp urad dal
- 1/2 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- 1/2 tsp Rai
- 15-20 curry leaves
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 8-10 whole Red chili
- 1 tsp turmeric Powder
- 3 tablespoon Kashmiri Red Chili powder
- 1 teaspoon Coarse ground Red Chili powder
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida
- Take heavy bottom pan and heat it on low flame. Add whole coriander seeds to it start to dry roast it till strong aroma comes and their is slight change of color on seeds .
- Transfer roasted seed to some container to let cool.
- Now to same pan add cumin seeds, fenugreek seeds, toor dal, chana dal, urad dal and roast it on low flame for 3-4 minutes by constantly stirring.
- Transfer these contents to same vessel to cool down.
- Now dry roast whole red chili in pan till they become little swollen. Be careful not to burn them. Transfer them to same vessel to cool down.
- Now dry roast mustard seeds, Rai, black pepper and curry leaves. Transfer to same vessel and let it cool down.
- Now add asafoetida, Kashmiri Red Chili powder, turmeric Powder, coarse ground Red Chili powder to same vessel.
- Blend all the things into powder by giving pulse.
Additional Tips & Tricks
- Make sure all the roasted ingredients are cooled down before you blend it.
- Store this in air tight jar in a cool place away from sunlight to keep the aroma and freshness intact.