Falafel, the classic Middle Eastern and Mediterranean recipe that is enjoyed as street food. Falafel is often served as a sandwich, stuffed in pita bread with lettuce, tomatoes, and tahini. As an appetizer, it can be served on a salad or with hummus and tahini.
What makes the best falafel? Tons of herbs and a small amount of green pepper. This makes for an addictive flavor that’s “a little something extra” but not spicy, just insanely delicious. Traditional falafel is made from ground chickpeas, herbs and spices. The mixture is then formed into balls or patties and deep fried for a texture that’s crispy on the outside and soft on the inside, sort of like a fritter.
- 1 cup dried chickpeas, soaked overnight
- 1/2 cup onion, roughly chopped
- 1.5 cup chopped coriander leaves
- 1-2 green chilies
- 3 garlic cloves
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2 tablespoon chickpea flour (besan)
- Oil for frying or brushing
- Soak dried chickpeas for overnight 8-12 hours with more than enough water in the pot to soak them completely. Drain and rinse them in the morning.
- Add all the ingredients in blender. Add the soaked chickpeas, onions, coriander leaves, garlic, salt, pepper and green chili to the blender and make a coarse mixture. Do not blend completely.
- Transfer the mixture to a bowl and mix it with chickpea flour.
- Keep the bowl in the fridge for chilling the falafel mixture for 30 to 60 minutes.
- Take out the bowl and shape falafel mixture into a ball or patty like shape.
- Put a pan on medium flame with oil for deep frying. Deep fry the falafel balls for 7-8 minutes.
- If you do not want to deep fry it then keep the falafel balls in an air fryer and brush them with oil and set the timer for 10 minutes at 180 degree Celsius.
Additional Tips & Tricks
- Add a lot of herbs such as fresh Parsley, Coriander Leaves as Falafel is incomplete without it.
- Tahini or Hummus is must with Falafel as it is a perfect combination as a sandwich or appetizer.
- I baked the Falafel balls in an air fryer and it came out crispy outside and soft inside.