Do you know Mango is the national fruit of India and Pakistan, and national tree of Bangladesh? Yes, it is! India produces over 40% of mangoes in the world with over 1500 varieties and exports to many countries. Maharashtra, an Indian state, produces the best variety in the world called Alphonsos Mango. Being born and brought up in a small town that used to have thousands of Mango trees, we cousins used to go to mango farms to collect mangoes fallen from trees. We ate them afterwards and gave it to family members for pickles, jams and other dishes.
Let’s take a tour of few popular mangoes India produce.
During summer, Mango cools you down instantly and hence refreshes you. Let’s get cooled down together with simple and flavor packed Mango Summer Salad.
- 1 Raw Mango (thin julienne)
- 1 Ripe Mango (thick julienne)
- 1/2 onion (julienne)
- 1 Cucumber (diced)
- 3-4 Coriander sprigs (chopped)
- 1-2 Mint sprigs
- 1/2 Bell peppers (optional)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- A pinch of ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons roasted peanuts (optional)
- 1/2 teaspoon dry red chili flakes
- Salt to taste
- Add ripe and raw mango julienne, cucumber, onions and coriander leaves in a bowl and mix it.
- In another small bowl add lime juice, sugar, salt, black pepper and mix it well.
- Add the prepared dressing to the mixed fruits and vegetables.
- Garnish it with mint leaves, dry chili flakes and peanuts.
Additional Tips & Tricks
- Instead of white sugar, use brown sugar for better results.
- Mango with sweet and sour flavor goes best with this salad such as Safeda, Chausa etc.